jueves, 29 de marzo de 2012

What We've Done Today...

No, this ISN'T us going to bed...
Small children need to go to bed even when they don't want to. One of the things that calms Jamie down is having a walk with Pappy; I pick him up and we stroll round his darkened room 'chatting' about things till he falls asleep. One thing that has caught his imagination recently is me retelling an episode of Shaun the Sheep.

He isn't asking to be carried through to the living room to see it again: He wants to hear my version of the story. And he doesn't even want the whole episode - he specifies he wants to hear 'the beginning.'

Other times he likes to recap bits of our domestic mythology - the time he helped Pappy drill a hole in the wall, the Brown Dog and the Quiet Cat that live along the street, and so on.

Recapping seems to work a lot with kids - The popular BBC childrens' series Balamory always has the main character Miss Hoolie recapping the whole episode. And Derek Jacobi retells each episode at the end of In The Night Garden, as key moments are played back in the form of cartoon stills.

This is something I hardly ever do with my students. We usually start off with a summary of the previous lesson, but maybe it's worth doing more same-lesson recapitulation.

So I'm going to come back from my Easter break with a Resolution - I will set aside three minutes at the end of every lesson for recapping, and we'll see if it makes a difference.

If you do this already, or something analogous, please let me know below.

As always, thanks for reading!

****************************************************************

In this post, I've mentioned the idea of recapping the content of lessons ;)

1 comentario:

  1. I recap most times, especially with adults, but I must admit it I do it not only because it is a good idea to, but also as a "marketing" strategy. I remember my CELTA trainer told me as teachers we are also selling a service, and by recapping I remind my students I've delivered my product and that my product/service is valid, relevant, and affordable (memory-wise). In my small town competition is fierce, and if companies don't want to renew a contract with a school they generally blame it on the teacher, rather than recession. Training is seen as a superfluous expense, and unless results are visible or student satisfaction high, the first course to be cut is the English one. Show them what' they're learning and get them to carry on. Not exactly just an educational purpose, but if the end justifies the means... the mean justifies the ends?

    ResponderEliminar